The Eastern Cape Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism (DEDEAT) welcomes its new Head of Department (HOD), Mrs Mickey Mama.
Mama’s appointment has come into effect from 01 December 2019.
A seasoned technocrat, Mama brings in a wealth of experience from various spheres of government including local, district and provincial.
Besides being the outgoing DEDEAT Chief Director: Economic Development, a position that puts her in good stead to steer the ship to safe waters, Mama has worked as:
- the Head of Department: Economic Development and Tourism at Cacadu District Municipality (now Sarah Baartman)
- Local Government Specialist at the Eastern Cape Socio-Economic Consultative Council (ECSECC)
- Director: IDP Support, Performance Monitoring and Evaluation in the Department of Housing, Local Government & Traditional Affairs
- Strategic Manager at Amathole District Municipality.
She has had her share in Human Resource Management and Organisational Development, lecturing at the former Peninsula Technikon, Bellville, Cape Town, and Border Technikon, East London respectively.
Her immense work experience is backed by equally impeccable and wide-ranging academic credentials including:
- a Master’s Degree in Business Administration (MBA) from the University of Stellenbosch’s Graduate School of Business
- Bachelor of Commerce junior degree
- honours from the University of the Western Cape.
Mama is currently pursuing a Postgraduate Diploma in Development Finance at the University of Stellenbosch’s Graduate School of Business.
Despite all this glaring evidence of her capacity to do the job, Mama is faced with the mammoth task of guiding the Department that ought to lead the government’s charge against poverty, unemployment, and inequality affecting many in the Province and she is not oblivious to this fact.
Speaking about her appointment and the huge task lying ahead, HOD Mama said “I am humbled by this appointment and grateful to the people of the province who, through the provincial leadership have entrusted me with this important responsibility.
“I am under no illusion that this is going to be a walk in the park but will be working hard to positively influence and garner support from my team first and our public entities, the industry and many other key stakeholders including national role players,” added Mama.
Mama is tasked with the responsibility of leading the efforts to revive the provincial economy through various instruments like:
- the stimulus fund and Isiqalo Youth Fund
- deepening and expanding the provincial industrialisation programme through SEZs and revitalising the industrial parks
- developing new sectors to diversify the economy and reduce over-reliance on the automotive sector
- supporting social economy including youth enterprises, SMMEs, Cooperatives and EPW projects
- leveraging the rich provincial landscape including biodiversity, game, wildlife, waste economy
- strengthening enablers like skills development, innovation, research and resource mobilisation, among others.