MAKE A DIFFERENCE IN YOUR PROVINCE
Need on-the-job experience?
The Eastern Cape Department of Economic Development, Environmental Affairs and Tourism offers internships to preferred candidates who meet specific requirements.
The programme forms part of the national goal to provide opportunities to targeted candidates. In return, interns are remunerated according to the provincial government’s policy. Application details are listed below.
What is an internship?
An internship is a process of placing graduates in a workplace who then undergo experiential learning. It targets young unemployed graduates with a complete degree or national diploma in a priority field of study.
The internship programme gives Eastern Cape unemployed graduates an opportunity to gain experiential learning, mentored by a DEDEAT employee who helps equip you with skills in your field of study.
The Eastern Cape is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer.
Groups that are encouraged to apply
Women, youth and people with disabilities are encouraged to apply so that the Department is able to meet its equity targets
The internship programme is endorsed by the national government and is informed by the Constitution of the Republic of South Africa, Skills Development Act, Skills Development Levies Act, Employment Equity Act, Public Service Regulations as amended, and Labour Relations Act.
What should you know about an internship?
In 2002 the cabinet approved the human resource development strategy for the public service, which included an internship framework and a scarce skills strategy.
The frame establishes an effective and efficient Internship programme that bridges the gap between academic study and the workplace. It offers a structured Internship programme for unemployed youths.
What are the requirements of a prospective intern?
1. The candidate should have a post-matric qualification, that is, have a degree/national diploma in the required field of study or an academic record, if not yet graduated.
2. The candidate should be unemployed with no experience.
3. The candidate may not have been an intern before.
4. The candidate should be willing to be deployed to any of the Eastern Cape’s six regions where the skills are required.
What benefits can the intern expect?
1. R5,000 stipend
2. When working outside the office, accommodation and transport is provided
3. 12 days sick leave per annum.
4. 21 days of vacation/holiday leave
5. 3 days family responsibility leave per annum
6. 4 months on a pro-rata basis.
What is not part of the contract?
1. DEDEAT does not offer special leave as part of the internship contract.
2. The Internship is a 12 months fixed experiential learning programme.
3. The department is under no obligation to appoint or retain an Intern upon the end of the term.
How to apply?
1. All CVs should be submitted with the Z83 Application for Employment Form.
2. Please pay proper attention to the instructions of the application form.
3. All applications should be signed by the applicant.
4. All relevant, certified copies of certificates should accompany the application.
5. Ensure your CV is updated and has current contact details.
ONLY candidates, who meet the advertised requirements, will be considered.
Failure to comply with the above directions may result in immediate disqualification.